Monday, February 20, 2012

No titles in stock at a small market

I was chatting on blazers.com during the win over Atlanta the other night and the subject of bringing a title to Portland came up. When does it not? We were talking about the city of Dallas and owners. The idea came up that Portland is a better city than Dallas and why couldn't we bring a title here. I personally never have been to Dallas aside from their airport, so I can't truly say which is a better city. Portland has a better airport, but that's all I can say. I'm not gonna mess with Texas.

So, why not a title in Portland?
I was bringing up the points about how we don't have a GM (only team in the NBA that doesn't) and a lacking front office. I also brought up the largest factor, we're a small market.

After losing the finals in '92 to the Bulls, Drexler said something along the lines of; "Portland can't win a title because the league doesn't want a small market team to win." I don't think that's entirely true. I can see where Clyde is going with this. Below is an interesting point I found to why that crown in front of the Rose Garden is still on its side.

Which NBA city, with less than a million people in its proper, with only one pro team (hockey and soccer don't count) was the last to win an NBA championship? Portland, with our very own Portland Trailblazers, 35 years ago. San Antonio has only one pro team but they're the 7th largest city in the U.S. Hardly a small market.

Look at where the championships from football, baseball and basketball are coming from. Cities with multiple franchises, teams from larger markets. To make the Rose City bloom in the sporting world, we need another pro team. I feel that crown may be on its side for quite some time without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment